Monday, September 29, 2008

Inspired and Hopeful

I want to begin by saying that this blog is one I created to share my experiences in Kenya. I now realize that I may be sharing much more than that. I have so much I want to say and I wish I could make my writing sound as good on paper as it does in my own head.

Quotes are one of the passions of my life. I love a great quote and you will see them frequently in my blog.

I would like to begin with this one…

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

—Marianne Williamson

This is one of my favorite quotes and I read it often. I am so very blessed to be surround by people with the most amazing inner lights. I once read a book that said “surround yourself with people who are better than you in a hundred different ways”. The people who surround me in my life inspire me daily.

Life for me is made up of the experiences we have. I want to experience as many things as I can get my hands on. Going to Kenya is one of the biggest goals I have ever worked towards. It’s surreal to think I’m going to actually be there in less than three weeks. Anyone who knows me knows how passionate I can get about things. When I think about Kenya my heart is so overjoyed I really feel as if it could burst at any moment. I hope to go and be a light to the people there, but I know that they will do more for me than I could ever do for them.

My life has been such an incredible blessing and it is essential for me to remind myself as often as I can what I have been given. I had the immense gift of having this incredible father for thirteen years who is a constant force in my life. So much of what he instilled in me guides my everyday decisions. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t think about him and thank God for him. Then there is my mom who is my biggest supporter and I don’t know where I would be without her. She has just been diagnosed with cancer for the third time. I know it’s going to be a hard battle, but she is strong and I know she can make it through anything. Please keep her in your prayers.

From the bottom of my heart I want to thank every single person who helped me raise money to go to Kenya. I am still in awe of the generosity I have experienced from so many people.

My biggest thanks goes to my Mom and Robbie who have done more for me than I could ever repay them for.

“Get out of your comfort zone if you want to be touched”

-Mother Teresa (my biggest inspiration) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just scanning over your blog again and realized that I never read this very first post!

I know your dad is proud of you as he watches over you and sees what a fine young woman you've grown up to be. As much as we miss him and wish he could be here with us, I take comfort (as I know you do) in knowing that we'll all be together again one day.

I've definitely been keeping your mom in my prayers and I know having three wonderful daughters makes everything she's going through easier to bear.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us through this blog, Bridget. It has been a joy to follow your travels and your insight.