Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Jambo

Jambo (Hello) from Kenya!

I arrived here last night and oh my what crazy travels I've had so far. I have a million things to say in such a short time...

I had to take three different planes to get here. One from Indianapolis to Chicago which made me get sick. It was only a thirty minute ride and I still managed to get sick. The next two planes were much better. From Chicago to London we had a 7 hour flight and then another 9 hours from London to Nairobi. Once we arrived in Nairobi we went to a city called Nikuru and stayed in a youth hostel. It ended up being these little cabins (they looked like shipping crates). Two of us shared each one. Our cab driver from the airport was so kind hearted and wonderful to talk to. He told us about how he had his daughter on a "plan". If she makes her bed every morning she receives ten shillings, but if she doesn't make her bed for just one day she isn't paid for the entire week. If she is paid for the week she must tide 10% to the church and save 10%. The rest of the money is hers to spend as she wishes. The man said that in Kenya people have an etremely hard time saving and he dreams of coming to America one day. He also told us that the older people of Kenya do not understand the young. She said so many young people have dreams of what they want to become and he wants to be someone who believes in those dreams. Ah, I have chills just typing that out. So many of the people here have the most insightful things to say. They really get the true meaning of life.

So after three plane rides and two hours in a car we had to get up on Monday morning after four hours of sleep to ride a bus for nine hours. Oh my goodness, I would rather do anything in the world than have to get on that bus again. I took two dramamine's before so I wouldn't get sick and ended up taking two more halfway through the ride. I was pretty loopy to say the least. The bus ride was nine hours with only two stops! We had one twenty minute stop for bathroom and food. Then we had another five minute stop just to go to the bathroom (you would have never made it Ann). I have to pee about every hour at least, so I thought my bladder was going to explode. As most of you know I cannot hold my bladder at all. So...I went on the bus, no joke! One of the girls in my group had a little knife and I used that to cut the top off one of my water bottles. The bus was crazy bouncy for the whole nine hours. I mean we were literally flying out of our seats. Therefore going to the bathroom on the bus was very tricky, but hey, when duty calls. I had to put my jacket over my lap so no one could see anything they weren't suppose to and then I just wedged myself inbetween the seats and went. I drippled a little but I had baby wipes :). I had to do that three different times and I still can't believe I did it. I have bruises all over my legs for having to hold myself up. I need to thank my Grandma for teaching me how to squat so well ;).

After nine hours on the bus we arrived in our village last night. It was pouring rain and the Lubanga's said it was a sign of a blessing. They told us today that we are a great blessing to them. Julie, Hilary, Ta'Vonna, and I are all sharing hut #2 (my favorite number) and it's pretty cozy. I had my first bathing experience this morning and it wasn't bad at all. I also met my students today. Every time they smile it melts my heart. They all sang this greeting to us and it was adorbale. I will be teaching first grade math, second grade english, and third grade science. I already made a friend with one of the teachers at scool. Her name is Vivian and she invited me over to her house one night for supper. She is twenty two and seems extremely mature for her age. The Lubanga's have eight children and they are all very friendly.

With all of that being said I am in major culture shock. I feel overwhlemed constantly and I know it will just take time. The kids at the school speak little english and I wasn't prepared for that. It will definitely be an adjustment and I know in the end I will love my time here. I am so grateful for the other people in my group. They are all really supportive and we all help eachother out.

My ineternet is messing up so I have to go. I'll write more later this week if I can get back into town...and i'll try to post pictures.

Oh and one more thing...the people here smell awful. Especially when you are riding in a matatu (van) with 10-15 people in it, wowza!

Swahili words I know so far:

Wapicho- "Where's the bathroom?"
Jena Yako-"What's your name?"
Hari Yako-"Hello, How are you?"
Mzuri-"I'm, Fine"
Asanti-"Thank You"
Karibu-"Welcome"

"Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing" (Thanks Heather :) )

5 comments:

Brie said...

Jambo Bridget! I'm glad you got there safely! I knew you'd have some funny stories about that long bus ride - and you didn't disappoint! I can just picture you squattin' on the bus, haha. I'm practically in tears reading this here at work. I'm glad you have a nice host family and co-workers/co-teachers around you. I can't imagine the smell...eek. I'm sure you'll get used to it soon though. Can't WAIT to see your pictures! Love ya! :o)

Unknown said...

Bridget....what an adventure! Sheesh! Glad you made it safely and are enjoying yourself. Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

Bridget... I LOVED this! Keep up the great creative and honest writing! It's wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I was laughing out loud at some of this, Bridget! I'm sure I would've done the same thing on the bus ride. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

I'm so proud of you and happy for you. I'll look forward to lots of updates on your great adventure.

Anonymous said...

ahahah Bridget i was dying when i read this i can not believe you went pee in a bottle on a bus full of people!! I cant wait for more stories of all of your adventures :) Hope you are doing well and having a great time!!! Keep us updated!