Monday, December 13, 2010

Maki's Birthday

Saturday night we all got together to celebrate Maki's 26th birthday. She wanted to have a huge party so we drove out to some land behind the instituto to celebrate the big event. There was an outdoor grill there and a small building with a bathroom inside...perfect! Andrew came prepared with the materials to put together this awesome cake:


Oscar is no longer at Santa Clara because the foundation wanted him in their central office. So now he comes to the school occasionally to fix various things, but he isn't the computer teacher anymore. It was nice that he still came out to celebrate Maki's birthday with us...


















Assembling the cake...I think someone should have grabbed that knife away from Andrew ;)


Lacey will always play my picture games and I love her for it. I said "Let's put these pineapple pieces on our heads" and as you can see she did it, although I didn't realize you wouldn't be able to see her piece -- still fun...


We all danced the night away (literally) -- I didn't walk into my house until almost 2a.m.!


I LOVE LOVE LOVE Spanish music and dancing :):



The plates pre carne asada...


The meat on the grill...my mouth was watering!


The finished plates included corn tortillas, carne asada, refried beans, salsa for the carne, a small block of cheese, and rice. QUE RICO!!


We ended the night by belting out "Summer of 69"! Here is Maki doing a great air guitar:


The Group:


As you can see a lot of people had on jackets or sweaters because it was super cold. I didn't realize how cold it was when we left and since I knew we'd be dancing I didn't bring a jacket with me. Now I'm paying for it with a nice cold! Hopefully it'll go away within the next four days, because I will not be happy if I'm sick while I'm home. 

Cinco Días Más!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Coming down here I had the intention of staying a few months. Well, now, those few months have literally turned into a few years. I take time out of a stressful day to watch the children and know the difference this organization is making. Looking back at last year, it is incredibly hard work to be a teacher and the work load will never compare to another job. The amount of effort and work you put in for these children will make this your hardest job ever emotionally. With this new role I have had the opportunity to see a different side of Honduras, a more impoverished side, critically in need of help. The poverty is unreal and the level of education of some of the parents at the school is incredibly low. Know that you are the way this country will improve. I fully understand now that EDUCATION is the way to build them up from the corruption, violence, poverty that has taken over their country. These children will remember you forever and even if they don't appreciate what you are offering them now, they will. And every child at this school will improve their country in some way with spreading the knowledge that you planted." - Ginny Rainwater

No comments: