Thursday, December 8, 2011

Arrival

I left for Honduras Friday morning around 5am. I flew Delta so my layover was in Atlanta. It worked out perfectly because Peggy (my friend/principal from last year) just happened to be at a conference in Atlanta and was also flying back to Honduras on December 2nd. I was SO excited to see her! I couldn't believe it had almost been six months, yikes! Our flight only have 50 passengers, so we were able to sit by each other :). The next 3 and a half hours were filled with lots of laughter as we filled each other in on life's happenings. It was wonderful to have that uninterrupted with her!

When we landed in Tegus Lacey was waiting for us. We exchanged huge hugs and then the three of us got in a taxi and headed to our hostel. We hung out in the room for a few hours catching up some more and then went to TGI Friday's. It was a really special treat for Lacey since she's been eating nothing but beans, rice, tacos, tortillas, and tajadas since August. 

The next morning Carlos (Director of OAF) came and picked us up to go to Juticalpa. On the way there we stopped at a rico restaurant for some carne asada...



It was incredible to drive into Juticalpa. I immediately felt like I was home and had never left. After being in Lacey's house for only twenty minutes or so I saw two of my students. They were playing across the street at the neighbors and it made my heart so happy to see their little faces light up when they saw me. I scoop each one up and talked to them briefly about their school year so far. Then we had to say goodbye, but I assured them that I would be at school on Monday. 

I realized I needed to buy groceries for the week so Lace walked with me to the Bodega Olanchano for some grub. As we were walking I heard a little boy yell "Miss King!" I look up to see Anyelo, one of my students from last year. He was hanging out on the patio of his house and ran down to see me. I waited for a few seconds for him to get down the stairs, then he flung open his front door, and slammed into me for a hug. I just wanted to cry because I was so overcome with joy! When I told him I was going to be at school on Monday he said "You, at my school, Monday?". When I confirmed his face lit up and he slammed into me for another big hug. I love my students from last year so much - I am so blessed!

"Dear God,
Thank you for this beautiful life 
and forgive me if I don't love it enough"

1 comment:

Karen King said...

I just love reading your blog! I can just imagine how excited your former students were to see you again. Keep on enjoying!