Saturday, November 1, 2008

Three and a half hours later...

Hilary, Julie, Felicity, and I took my friend Vivian into town this morning for some shopping and lunch. Some of us decided it would be fun to get our hair braided. When I sat down in the chair they asked if they could put weave in my hair because it was so short, haha! Of course I said it was fine and three and a half long hours later I have braids :). It's so weird to actually have hair and now I'm going to get extra got during the day. They last for two weeks and I don't have to wash my hair at all during that time. That will be nice! I told the ladies in the salon that I looked like Whoopi and they were cracking up.

Last night we went to The Red Hat, a restaurant in town, to celebrate Halloween. There are other Muzungu's (white people) in Kenya working for an organization called One Acre. They work with farmers all over the country. The ICODEI gang met with the One Acre gang to celebrate the holiday. I didn't even care about celebrating Halloween, I just went for the food! The Red Hat has prepared a buffet for us twice now and the food is amazing. The owner's name is Hassan and is he a cute little Indian man. He made egg rolls, marinated beef, naan, and rice. YUMO! I guess were suppose to be getting meat every night on the farm and we haven't been. Some of the girls are going to talk to Mama Betty about it. Hopefully the conversation will go well and no one will get angry.

I love the Kenyan children more and more everyday. There are a few students in my classes that I would take home tomorrow if I could. One little boy is named Gaylord, oh my is he a cute one. He is the chubbiest in his class. You can tell that his clothes had to be taken out and his zipper is always undone, poor kid. He has the biggest heart and the biggest smile to match it. He works hard for me everyday in class and he is just a joy to be around. Then there is a little girl named Faith in second grade and she is the sweetest little girl. She has a beautiful smile and a very graceful presence. One of the volunteers said she would adopt a few of the kids here if she were older and I'd have to say the same. I am obviously in no condition to adopt a child, but boy is it tempting...just kidding Mom! I promise I wont come home with any babies or husbands :).

Last week I was able to visit an orphanage in Buscoma. A lady named Esther and her husband live there with twenty orphaned boys. Esther also has a 7 month old son named Jared. Jared is the cutest little thing. He is a solid beef stick so I nicknamed him "little chop". It was so exciting to be able to hold a little baby. I didn't want to give him back to his mom when it was time to go. Hopefully I'll be able to go back tomorrow to play with the boys. It looks like my Sunday's will start being full of service, which I am really looking forward to.

I'm off to have lunch now and show off my rockin' braids!

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

7 comments:

Mom said...

It sounds like your life in Kenya is getting just as busy as your life in America. I believe you when you say that you won't come home with a husband; I'm not so sure about children. Make sure you get a picture of your hair in braids.

Love Ya

Anonymous said...

Hehe... I love reading your blog Bridget! I'm thinking that you'll need to get the weave done again a few days before you come home... so we can all see it! Loved your mom's comment about husbands/babies... I was thinking the same thing! I've sent the link to you blog to all of the teachers at school - - lots of people are enjoying your stories! Take care of yourself .. .Love, "Auntie Kare"

Anonymous said...

Hey Bride, let me guess.... I would really like Gaylord right?

Jodi said...

So now that you have hair...you won't be needing anymore bobby pins to pin back those ridiculously long bangs of yours :) HAHA I can't wait to see pics of this. If you do decide to bring back any kids...bring one for me!!!

Brie said...

Bridge, you should do the afro for the kids once your weave is out!!! That would be so awesome. If only I could somehow tell Tasha that Bridget King has a weave. Oh, the pictures we'll see once you're back...

Brie said...

I forgot to say also, that you used my favorite quote in this post. Love it! :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey Bridge! your blog cracks me up lol. I'm glad your having such a good time. I can't wait for you to get back! miss you- Ashley
ps call me!