Friday, November 28, 2008

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him" ~Galileo Galilei

Thanks for the quote Auntie Kare :)...

Today is my last day on the farm. I leave tomorrow morning to go to Mombasa for a week. I'm really sad to be leaving the farm. The owners of the farm are corrupt, but I still made it my home and I met some incredible people along the way. It's crazy to think how far I've come in just six short weeks. When I first arrived on the farm I was in such culture shock that I couldn't imagine staying there for six weeks. Now I can't imagine leaving. I have met so many people who have changed my life and I will never forget them.

There is one man at school named Joseph Sudi and he is my favorite teacher. His eyes light up when he talks about his wife and kids. He is very dedicated to teaching and all of the students love him. This past weekend I went to do some volunteer work in a nearby city and Joseph's father passed away while I was gone. I never expected something like that to happen and it was really hard for me. Even though he has endured such a large loss he has been at school all week preparing for next term.

Another man I met is Fred (my favorite Kenyan). Fred has three children of his own and he also takes care of his wife's nephew. He drives the kids at Epico to and from school. All of the children adore him and they call him "Uncle Fred". When I got my package of popcorn balls from my Mom I shared them with all the volunteers. Josh, one of the volunteers, gave half of his to Fred. Fred took a bite and he just smiled because he thought it was so good. All of the kids were surrounding him at this point screaming "Uncle Fred, Uncle Fred, please spare me a taste." Instead of telling them it was for him he gave away the rest of the popcorn ball. It was such a small thing but it really touched my heart. This man who works so hard for everything shared the little bit that he had been given.

I see this all the time in the states and in Africa. The people who have the least are giving in the most. And you know what? They are the happiest people I know! Before I came to Africa I always imagined really poor people who were extremely happy. I always thought they were happy because of their faith and that they were just grateful to be alive. Now I realize that faith plays a HUGE role but giving is what brings people the greatest joy. You can be as rich or as poor as you want, but if you don't give in some form you will never be truly happy.

I have been given more here than I could have asked for in a lifetime. I'm excited to spend three more weeks here and I hope I continue to meet beautiful souls :).

I'm Now a Pro At:
  • squatting
  • carrying large buckets full of water
  • sitting in a crowded and hot vehicle for hours at a time
  • bargaining
  • not being a picky eater

American Words vs. Kenyan Words:

  • Chalkboard Eraser = Duster
  • Period (at the end of a sentence) = Full Stop
  • Beautiful = Smart
  • Pencil Eraser = Rubber
  • Flash Light = Torch
  • Flip Flops = Slappers (my favorite one)

Cost of Transportation and Food:

  • Pineapple 80 ksh = $1.10
  • Avacado 10 ksh = $0.13
  • Tomato 3 ksh = $0.04
  • Banana 5 ksh = $0.06
  • Boda Boda (bicycle) 10 ksh = $0.14
  • Matatu ride for 3 hours 300 ksh = $4.11
  • Lunch in town 300-500 ksh = $4.11 - $6.84
  • Spending nine weeks in Kenya = PRICELESS (haha...I got carried away and I had to add it in)

New Swahili Words I've Learned:

  • kuja hopa = come here
  • kwhaeri = good-bye
  • tafadhali = please
  • polle polle = slow down
  • kazi mzuri = good work

My Travel Plans:

  • November 30th - December 6th: Mombasa (Indian Ocean)
  • December 7th - December 10th: Nairobi
  • December 11th - December 14th: Safari
  • December 15th -December 16th: Hell's Gate National Park (look it up)
  • December 16th -December 18th: ?
  • December 19th: Fly Home :)

Oh, and Aunt Kathleen I will be able to update my blog as I travel.

I have had to type papers for IU every week since I've been here and next week my last two are due. WHOO HOO! Then I get to travel worry free for two weeks.

I hope all of you had plenty of Turkey for me on Thursday. I got sick the day before T-Day and was vomitting for two days, so I didn't get to celebrate Thanksgiving. Don't worry...I'll make up for it during Christmas :)

"Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same." -Flavia Weedn

4 comments:

Mom said...

Bridget, Thanksgiving wasn't the same without you!!! I'm really happy that you are having such a wonderful exeperience and can not wait to see you and hear about all of them.

Love,

Mom

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed that quote! It's wonderful reading your thoughts, Bridget. You are doing such good work. I can't wait to hear all about it in person! Sorry to hear that you were sick over Thanksgiving. Stay safe in your travels and we'll see you very soon! Be prepared for much colder weather, though! Brrrrr! Love, Auntie Kare (YFA)

Jodi said...

Bridge! I can't wait until you come home! I am insanely jealous of you and I can't imagine all the wonderful things you have experienced :) Have fun traveling and have a safe trip back...I can't wait to hear all about it!!!

Anonymous said...

Karen, you already have your own name. Don't try to take mine!

Bridget, I love the quote at the bottom of the blog....so true! And, what fun to learn all those new words and phrases.

Looking forwarding to reading more and seeing you at Christmas!!