Thursday, December 18, 2008

Mwisho

Mwisho means "The End" in Swahili...



I can't believe I fly home tomorrow. I'm so excited to see everyone but I'm really sad to be leaving. Coming to Kenya has really changed my life. I'm not the same person now as I was nine weeks ago. It's incredible to think about how much a person can change in such a short period of time.



I was talking with Julie and her family the other night about how amazed I am at the lives we've been given. Being in Kenya has really made me look at my life and the world around me more. There are so many bad things that can happen throughout life. When a baby is born there are endless lists of complications that could happen. When people grow up it's insane to think about all of the bad things that can happen to them. Knowing all of that, I think about my own life. I was born with all five fingers and all five toes. I have had pretty good health most of my life. I was born into an incredible family and I found a group of supportive friends. Being in Kenya I've really thought about all of the different environments that I could have been born into. That fact that I was born in America alone is a huge blessing. I have the opportunity to make something of myself. That is an opportunity that most don't get. The people in Kenya rely on tourists to bring in the little money they recieve. Half of the people I have met here have college degrees and there are no jobs available for them. What is so incredible to me is the spirit I see. These people who are educated and so qualified for jobs that they can't get don't just sit around and pout. Instead these people are out volunteering in their country. They are teaching about HIV/AIDS, poverty, and disease. They truly bring hope to people who are hopeless. I'm just in awe when I am able to sit down and talk with these people.

I would love to say that I am going to come home and just live life like I should; but I'm human and I know I'll come home and probably get really impatient at times, make a million and one mistakes, and not be as grateful as I should be. Every morning I am going to try and wake up and thank God for the day and all of the good thinsg he has give me. I am going to especially try to remember what's really important in life. It really is the small things that matter the most.

I will never forget the beauty, joy, and immense peace I have experienced here. Kenya has a big place in my heart. I hope more than anything I can make it back someday.

If you have read this blog for the past nine weeks I'm impressed.


Thank you, for all of your love and support...

I'm the happiest girl in the whole USA :)



"There is a place where the earth meets the sky and that is the end" ~Maasai Saying

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the time you read this, you'll be back in the good ol' USA! Welcome Home!! I've enjoyed reading every word for the last nine weeks! It was a great way to keep in touch! Love, Auntie Kare

Anonymous said...

Shine on me sunshine, walk with me world; it's a skip-a-dee-doo-dah day!

Now you've got that song stuck in my head, Bridget!

You are such a darling and I couldn't be happier for you that you've been able to have this wonderful, life-altering experience. But, of course, every experience in our life, no matter where we are, can be life-altering. You'll look for those opportunities anywhere you are. That's just the kind of person you are.

Can't wait to see you. Sending my love and prayers for a safe trip home.

Brie said...

WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!