Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Trail of Tears to Mombasa (pictures have been added)





















On Saturday night all of the volunteers went to the Sharif's home for dinner. They are an Indian family who owns restaurants and grocery stores in Bungoma and Mumias. Their house was insane to say the least. They had not one, but two showers. They let all of us shower at their house and they cooked for us. I had the spiciest meat I've ever eaten. I think it tasted extra spicy because all of the other food here is so bland. It was nice to have a great last meal and shower before I left for Mombasa.

During dinner I was talking about Fred (my favorite Kenyan) a lot because I had gone to his house for lunch that afternoon. He has three boys named Griffin, Fayne, and Anon. His wife is named Elizabeth. They are the most darling family and I am in love with little Anon. He was a round ball of joy and it was easy to see how much he loved his dad. Fred is just wonderful as I've said before and I would do anything I can to help him. He had told Josh and I that he wanted to start a little business and sell some clothes. He isn't being paid by ICODEI so he is really struggling. Well once I started talking about him at dinner everyone decided they wanted to help his as well. Before I knew it we had come up with 15,000 ksh to give him, which is $200 American Dollars. I was only able to donate a little amount considering my financial situation but some other volunteers gave up to $75. I am just over the moon about being able to help him. I wish all of you could meet him in person. Hopefully he can save enough money to come and visit America one day. Josh is going to give him the money in a few weeks. I wont be there when he gets it but I know he is really going to appreciate it.

Sunday morning I had to say good-bye to everyone on the farm and I just cried and cried. I never thought it was going to be so hard to leave. I felt okay when I woke up in the morning but when it came time to hug everyone the tears came. I'm going to miss everyone so much. It didn't help that Fred drove us to the bus stop. He gave me a hug when I left, which is a big deal because people just shake hands here. When he drove away I just cried harder. I'm really going to miss him and I wish all of the best for him.

Twenty-two hours, two buses, and one car ride later I arrived in Mombasa. It is beautiful here! I am staying in a cottage with three other girls right on the beach and it is only costing us $60 each for the entire week. Not bad! There are monkeys everywhere. Yesterday one of them reached in our cottage and stole TaVonna's oreos. It was hilarious. This morning I woke up to monkeys jumping on our roof. I love the little guys but the locals hate them because they are so mischievious.

Today we woke up early and went snorkeling. We took the cheap route and got what we paid for. Bungee (our guide) picked us up in his hand made wooden cruiser. Then he gave us some faulty equipment that leaked. I did see some pretty fish and gorgeous star fish. The experience was funny, so I had a good time. I'm excited to see what else Mombasa has in store for me. Oh wow that rhymed. I'm so funny :)!

Just one more week until my safari. I'm stoked!

Pictures Explained:

I don't know what order these pictures will be in when they are posted so I will just generally describe them. One is of Fred and I. The other is of me with a little boy named Nathan that I adore. The two little boys and the other little boy in the green unifroms were some students at Epico that I loved. The pictures on the water are of me on the Indian Ocean. One is of Hilary and I with some sweet hats that we bought. The other is of Julie, Hilary, and I after we were done snorkeling. The little bot and little girl I have my arms around are James and Marcy. They are brother and sister and I spent a lot of time playing with them. The three girls in one of the pictures with me are the girls I am currently traveling with. The picture of the large crowd of kids was taken when I planted some crops in Isongo. If you look closely you can tell that the little girl on the bottom right is wailing. She had never seen a white person before and she was horrified. I was trying to show her that we don't bite :). Then the baboon! Too bad you can't see his large pink rear :)

"Don't show them your cover, turn to your most exciting chapter and read from it!" - Beauty and the Geek

7 comments:

Brie said...

Monkeys?!?! That is so cool, Bridge. I'm totally green with envy. Today's the big day for me, keep your fingers crossed! I can't wait to see your pictures!!!! See you in a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

I missed the rhyme somewhere! I'm sleep deprived though, so maybe I didn't read it right.

I laughed out loud about the monkeys! I can see where they'd be a lot of fun to have around for a little while. I can imagine why the locals would be plenty tired of them though!!

I'm not at all surprised that you cried a lot when you left. You've got so many wonderful memories to hold in your heart forever though.

Enjoy your safari and be safe! Lots of love and prayers headed your way!!

Anonymous said...

Bridget...i cant believe you busted out with the beauty and the geek quote at the end, haha jk :). I hope you have a great time while traveling, cant wait to see ya and hear all about everything when you get home!!!!

Anonymous said...

Is that Fred the Kenyan in the first photo? You look so happy! Love the head scarf!

The monkey part was cracking me up, too! Safe travels... love, Auntie Kare

Anonymous said...

Oops.. just realized that you added more to the bottom of your post (which I had read earlier)... I see that it IS Fred! :)

By the way, your hair is getting so LONG! ;)

Brie said...

YAY FOR PICTURES!!!!!
Would you quit making the little children cry? Seriously... haha.

Looks like you're enjoying the vacation part of your adventure, yay!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these pictures, Bridget! The little girl crying is adorable!! It's wonderful to see your big smile!