Sunday, August 22, 2010

Un nuevo día ha llegado

Things are getting better everyday!

All of the volunteers here are incredible people! Everyone has been so supportive and understanding. I really feel taken care of by the organization in general. These past four days Olancho Aid has paid for our lunches, dinners, and given all of us cell phones to use while we're in the country. Talk about service!

This morning I went to mass in Jutiquile and it was WONDERFUL! The people here are so full of the Holy Spirit and really know how to participate in a mass. There was a lot of joyful singing and clapping, so it was right up my alley. Oh, and at the sign of peace everyone says "la paz" and you touch the other person's arm and kiss them on their left cheek. You don't give peace to just the people in your area either, the parishioners walk all around the church to greet one another. I really enjoyed seeing that! I also loved the town of Jutiquile. It's an agricultural town and Padre Ricardo (who heads Olancho Aid) says mass there every Sunday. After mass was over we were invited to have soda and cookies at one of the parishioners homes. Apparently I am going to have to buy some soda to keep in my house incase I have any guests. It's polite to offer someone a glass of soda to drink when they are in your home and not water. It's hard for me to be as friendly as I normally am without being able to communicate with people. So I just say "Muchas Gracias" all the time and smile really big :).

A few days ago Carrie asked a group of us who had the e-mail address "AnneGabels". I told her it was mine and started to tell her about how it was my favorite movie, but I didn't have to because she's seen it and loves it! Then Anne, another volunteer, said "Those are the only movies I brought with me, they're my comfort movies." What are the odds? I definitely have some kindred spirits here! We're going to have an Anne of Green Gables movie night sometime soon...I'm pumped!

My days have been so busy and Peggy just told us today that this week will continue to be busy. I have teacher orientation and meetings all week. I'm going to meet all of my students parents on Friday and then the kids all start school on Monday, the 30th. I'm excited to start getting my classroom set up and to meet the families of the students I will be serving. Hopefully I will have Wendy as a full time aid so she will be able to translate for me.

Since I have been so busy it's been hard to take everything in, but here are some interesting things I have learned so far:

-A woman named Annie was the school principal for Santa Clara (my school) for three years, she had a masters in bilingual education and did a great job here. She came to Olancho four years ago as a volunteer and ended up meeting her future husband (a Honduran). She fell in love and got married here and that's how she became the principal of Santa Clara. This past spring she and her husband had a baby and they want this child and future children to go to a school in the states. Therefore she resigned last school year and now Peggy, who was suppose to teach Kindergarten this year will be Olancho's new principal. Craziness! Peggy is only 22 or 23 but she is so mature for her age and I think she is going to do an incredible job this year. I can't imagine having that responsibility but she seems very calm about things. As a returning volunteer was telling me all about this situation she also told me that Annie had her baby at the hospital here in town! Now when I say hospital it's not like the hospitals we have at home. It's more of an advanced clinic. If I were to get really sick here the closest hospital is over 2 hours away. So, I couldn't believe this woman had a child here, but the craziest part is how much it cost her to deliver the baby, and you will NEVER guess...so I'll just tell you--$5.00 people! No joke! Isn't that nuts? I can't imagine paying that little to have a baby. I wish it was that cheap in the good ol' U S of A.

-After a catholic woman has a baby she stays in her house for the first forty days. It's considered to be unsanitary to leave. After the forty days is over she comes to mass with the baby and he/she is introduced to the congregation. I was able to see this take place at mass this morning. Padre Ricardo was so rough with the baby though! He held her up in the air and then almost tossed her back to her dad. All of the returning volunteers said they still can't watch him do it because it makes them so nervous.

-Adios means hello and goodbye here, just like aloha does in Hawaii. If I am walking down the street and I want to greet someone but not stop and talk I would say "adios" to them, but it would been hello. I also say "adios" when someone leaves...muy interesante!

I thought I had more cool things to share but that's all I can think of for now.

Adios :)

"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it" - Anne of Green Gables

2 comments:

Brie said...

Hello to you, too! Bahahaha! You'd better not wear your shorts in public or you'll be delivering a baby for $5 too! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Oh, now see... ALREADY BETTER! I love that you have AoGG kindred spirits with you... and am praying you find YOUR Gilbert Blythe while there. :-)