Monday, September 13, 2010

Care Packages

Some of you have been asking me what I would like to have down here.

This is my wish list:

***Hand written letters (I talked to Peggy and these can be sent to Rapido Cargo...just write attn: Padre Ricadro and then put: for Bridget King). You obviously wouldn't need to call and get shipping costs if you just send a letter. I overpaid for my boxes so that money would go towards any letters sent.

***Cute black sandals I could wear to teach in. I have these high shoes I've been wearing and they kill my feet! I can wear flat open shoes as long as they have a strap on the back. Like these for example:



























I'm not picky. Just anything that has a very small heel or no heel at all. I'm looking for comfort. Oh, I wear size 8 and 1/2.

***Chocolate (It'll definitely melt on the way, but it'll still be SO good).

***Peanut Butter (I can buy it here but it's over 90 lempiras, which is over $4 for a small jar of it!) I only make $7 a day so it's not a luxury I'm willing to spend my money on!

***Any other kind of American food (CEREAL!!, trail mix, granola bars, fruit leather, etc.)

***Movies-DVD's. I thought there would be a lot here from previous volunteers but I was wrong. If any of you know how to burn DVD's that would be awesome! There are three or four burned DVD's in my house that work great!

***Speakers for my computer. I had a CD player at school but it keeps getting taken by other teachers. I would love to be able to bring my laptop in and play music for my students while they work, but my volume is so low you can't hear the music at all!

None of you have to send anything though!! You have all done more than I could ever thank you for! I'm only writing this post because so many people have asked me about it. I honestly don't NEED anything. These are all just wants.

If you do send a box, please follow these instructions.

1. Rapido Cargo
2154 N.W. 23rd Court
Miami Florida,33142
attention: Padre Ricardo - Juticalpa (Write this on all sides of the box!!!!)

2. Write my name beneath Padre Ricardo's ... for instance
attention Padre Ricardo
for Bridget King (Write this on the top of the box)

3. If you use UPS, FED X,USPO they will ask you to list contents. I would suggest writing " educational material and - or religious goods"

4. You should mail the package to the office in Miami and then phone them at 305-631-0686 to determine the cost (by weight) and method of payment. This is to get the box shipped from Miami to Honduras. Attach a note to the outside of the box somewhere with your number on it and write a note telling them to contact you when they receive the box. Sometimes if you don't do that it'll just get shipped here and then Padre Ricardo has to pay for it up front and I have to pay him back.

One of the volunteers here sent a big box to herself and Rapido just charged her $15 for shipping, so the bulk of the cost is getting it from Indianapolis to Miami. If it doesn't weight a lot it's cheaper to use a regular box, but if it's heavy it's cheaper to go with a flat rate. The large size of the flat rate costs $15 to send to Miami.

Love and miss you all tremendously!!!

"Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way." -Native American saying

No comments: