Friday, October 8, 2010

Me Encanta Mi Clase

My students are the most beautiful little people and I just adore them!

Yesterday during calendar I read them the story of Samson in our children's bible. We talked about Samson having pelo largo (long hair) and being very fuerte (strong). Maria Jose took this as an opportunity to show some of the boys in the class how big her muscles are. She was flexing and just had the biggest smile on her face. This girl is a spit-fire and very sassy! She lives in the orphanage and typically plays with the boys. She is always schooling them in whatever physical activity they may be doing. Today as I read our bible story the question "What do you want to be when you grow up" popped up. Most of the girls said they wanted to be teachers and a few said nurses.  It came as no surprise when Maria Jose raised her hand and said "policia!" That girl is going places! I can't wait to come back to Honduras in twenty years and see Maria in her police uniform. Then one of my boys said "Miss King"...that gave me a good laugh!

Teaching is the most AMAZING job in the entire world!! I get so excited everyday to see my students learning and participating more in classroom discussions. Yesterday as we were doing calendar I asked Jose Alberto (star helper for the week) to tell me what color our next circle would be. He looked at the number pattern and finally said "green, miss". When I asked him how he knew he pointed to the yellow circle and then to the green one that came after that! It's all about those moments. I get teary-eyed just thinking about it!

Even though I don't speak Spanish and barely understand anything my students say, they still talk to me every day. They act things out for me and they get so excited when I understand what they're saying. Many days they will teach me words in Spanish, it takes me awhile to get it but they are so patient with me! A few days ago Marcela explained the difference between nina and mujer. She said "Miss, tu mujer...Miss Varela es a mujer...yo nina." It was absolutely adorable! Even when I get frustrated with them and raise my voice to get them to sit in their seats or listen to me, they still leave school with a hug and a smile for me. If only all of us could have the unconditional love of a child. It's pretty incredible!

Last night as I walked to the store I heard a little boy yelling "Miss King, Miss King!" When I looked up I saw little Anyelo running to me. He just slammed into me and gave me a giant hug. I caught him cherry bombing lunch boxes in the hallway earlier that day and he got into big trouble for that. I actually thought it was funny to see lunch boxes go flying through the air from my classroom window, but he had to be punished. Even though I was stern with him he still ran to me like that. I just love that little boy!

I'm so grateful God has called me to a profession that gives me so much joy! Everyday something wonderful happens in my classroom that reinforces why I became a teacher in the first place. That is the most wonderful gift I could ask for.

Please continue to pray for me! I need help with being more patient and understanding with my students. I also need to find more creative ways to reach them because right now they are only understanding about 10% of what I say. That's frustrating for all of us. I know things will continue to improve and I'm excited for the possibilities ahead!

"No one has yet fully realized the wealth of sympathy, kindness, and generosity hidden in the soul of a child. The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure" -- Emma Golmam

2 comments:

Aunt Karen said...

I wonder if anyone else will understand this post the way I understand it. It made me smile so many times!

Anonymous said...

Bridge, I am so glad to hear you are enjoying your time as a full-time classroom teacher. I completely understand the frustrations on not being able to reach each of your children. Every night I lay my head down and think what can I do tomorrow to make sure I make an effort to just listen to one of my students and make them feel important and smart. We get so caught up in trying to do our jobs and testing that sometimes the kids just want to be loved and heard. I love what I do and I wouldn't change it for the world! The most important thing is to remember that those kids are there wanting to learn and you hold the key to that:) Let the little things that frustrate you make you laugh and each day reflect on how you can better reach each individual child. I miss you lots and I wish I could be there with your!