Monday, April 11, 2011

Kids Day Out

If Friday night wasn't already wonderful enough, I also had an amazing day on Saturday. Kandice, Jeff, Lacey, Anne, Jackie, Carrie, and I spent a day with the kids at the orphanage. We took Yarhitza, Julissa, Jose Alberto, Maria Jose, Maxi, and Clara to lunch, out for ice cream, and then back to my house for a movie.

While we were waiting for the kids to finish getting ready we played with the other kids at the orphanage. Here's me with little Jillian...
I love Jillybean so much! 
It made me really happy to see this:

Seven gringos walking down the street with six Honduran children. We definitely had a lot of people look in our direction.

By the time we got to the taco hut it was after 12, which made for some very hungry children. So all of them just sat very quietly waiting with their tacos...

They were ready a few minutes later and quickly woofed down! Well the girls woofed theirs down anyways. Maxi finished his but it took him a little longer, and Alberto only ate two thirds. So the girls fought over who got to eat the remainder.
Julissa licked that plate clean!
I asked Alberto and Maxi if they wanted to sit at a table with Mr. Ball and they both shook their heads in excitement. They don't have many good male role models in their lives so I was very grateful that Jeff came along to spend some time with them.
Enjoying some good tacos
After they finished eating Yarhitza and Julissa (sisters) came over and climbed onto my lap. They're such sweet little girls!
As soon as everyone was finished they all started saying "we want our ice cream now". So we walked the kids by piggyback to the Eskimo for some ice cream!
Maxi is so cute and little
Clara (in third grade) doesn't smile very often. She's usually very serious and to keeps to herself, but on Saturday she was all smiles :)! Here she is with Miss Kardell enjoying her ice cream:
Alberto couldn't fit enough into his mouth. I think he inhaled that cone in under five minutes:
Here's cute Maria...

When all of the ice cream disappeared into happy bellies, we let the kids play in the attached playground. I felt like I was at a McDonald's.

Maxi loved going down the slide!
I even jumped in on the fun and rode the merry-go-round! After a few minutes I was so dizzy I thought I was going to fall over or get sick. I need to make a mental note not ride things that spin anymore!

After an hour or so all of the kids were tired from playing, so it was time for them to climb aboard for their piggyback rides back to my house to watch "The Princess and the Frog" in Spanish. We served up some popcorn and raspberry lemonade...Yum!

Before taking them back to the Hogar (Orphanage) I asked them to get together for a group picture:

If I had the money I would adopt all of them and take them back to the states tomorrow! I pray that each one of the kids at the Hogar have beautiful families of their own someday and live happy lives!

Then it was time for the final piggyback ride home...
Julissa and Anne outside of the Hogar

Everyone enjoyed themselves so much that we plan to have another day with them sometime after Semana Santa and before we head back home for good. 

I'm thinking a trip to the cinema is in our future :)...

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies. And now when every new baby is born its first laugh becomes a fairy” –James Matthew Barrie 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those little kids are sooo cute...

It sounds like that they now have a day that they will always remember...


Love,

Mamasita