Saturday, April 30, 2011

Costa Rica - Day 5 (Part 1)

As soon as we woke up Theresa, Carrie, and I went to rent some bicycles for the day. We got these sweet cruisers with little bells on the handlebars...

Then we had the most amazing breakfast I've had in a LONG time. I had some fluffy local organic scrambled eggs, fresh crispy bacon, and a homemade bagel with homemade spicy chipotle cream cheese. My mouth's watering now just thinking about it! We ate at a restaurant called Bread and Chocolate. Everything the owner made was local, fresh, and homemade.

This is not the best picture of me...I think I was in a food coma...
My chocolate covered truffle and spicy chipotle cream cheese -- not eaten together!
When we couldn't possibly eat another bite we grabbed our bikes and rode to the Jaguar Sanctuary.

Riding through town after breakfast
On the way Theresa wanted to sing Now and Then songs. So we rode down the street singing "knock three times on the ceiling if you want me...twice on the pipe ::briiing, briiing::" Then we moved on to some Mungo Jerry...haha - I loved it :)!
Going to the rescue center was a highlight for all of us. Look at this cute little guy...

The best part...

We got to hold them!!!!

Theres with her new friend
Carrie's little man fell asleep on her head...
Maki's fell asleep with his tongue sticking out -- how cute is that?!?!'

Incredible!




Then we got to see a few sloths. Some people think they're adorable and some people think they're creepy. I'm middle of the road on this one. I don't think their creepy necessarily, but I definitely wouldn't describe it as one of the cutest animals I've seen...
It looks like it's smiling, doesn't it?
A little baby...
Big guy sleeping under a bush...
We tried really hard to find some tree frogs while we were there but only saw their eggs...

The sanctuary only had one jaguar and it was in a cage that we couldn't go in so I didn't take any pictures. The sanctuary's whole purpose is to rehabilitate these animals so they can release them back into the wild. Definitely a place worth checking out if you ever find yourself in Puerto Viejo.

Day 5 (Part 2) - Surf's Up

"A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life" -James Allen

1 comment:

Aunt Karen said...

The little guy Maki is holding....how cute!! I can just imagine you guys singing as you ride through town. What was that earlier comment about "loud Americans"?!?! ;). Such fun!

Love you!

Auntie Kare