Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Magnifico Día

This just in...

HEATHER ROSEMARY SCHMOLL IS COMING TO HONDURAS IN MAY!!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!

I had to share! Now on to my original post...

Yesterday we didn't have school so that we could have an OAF (Olancho Aid Foundation) retreat. The day was spent at a retreat center right down the road from Santa Clara. There are over ninety people working for OAF currently and all of them came to spend the day together. It was absolutely wonderful!

When I arrived to the grounds in the morning I was greeted by this large turkey...





I honestly don't think I've ever seen a turkey that big! He was not a happy bird while we cruised past him. Some of the teachers stopped in their tracks because they were scared he was going to attack them. He was making that "gobble, gobble" sound and everything!

Once we got past the wild turkey we were all put into groups based on what our name tags said. My group was the "Lempira" and I got to be with Ella who I adore. She is this loud/opinionated/joyful woman who loves to laugh and have a good time. Just my kind of person :)!


Rosita was sad we weren't in the same group, but since we're right next door to each other every day it was good to be in separate groups. She is absolutely insane, but I still love her! She's trying to learn more English and her two new favorite things to tell me are "Get out of my life Bridgy" and "Don't bother me". AHAHA..Hysterical!

Me and Rosita - Maestras de primero grado


We headed outside to create the OAF letters after playing some human bingo and participating in some other contests. Carlos had my camera and didn't get any shots where you can clearly see all of the letters, but he has a program he's going to use to merge the different shots he took. Should look pretty cool when he's finished with it.

I'm part of the A
After discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the foundation we had an amazing lunch of rice, salad, beef, and chicken. Yum, yum, yum -- It was so good!
Yohely and me during lunch




When lunch was over we celebrated a beautiful mass together. On the way into the chapel I was attacked by a sheep. This same little guy attacked Jeff and Karol earlier in the day. I guess Karol took off running and the thing charged after her. Well I didn't know that previously so when it kept coming after me I took off and it chased me down too. I was leery to take a picture with it and sure enough it tried to eat my shirt!



I was cracking up that our day started with a wild turkey and ended with a crazy sheep. Usually it's cows and chickens, so it was a nice change of pace :)!


The little chapel where we had mass was perfect...
I loved the ceiling!
Todos - Ninety some people (Crazy!)
The day was filled with laughter, lots of hugs, and a few tears...

It was great to spend a day gathered with people who share in a similar passion. I love OAF and everything it stands for. I am so proud and honored to be working for such an extraordinary foundation!

"You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist" - Indira Gandhi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it must have been a great day. It had to have been nice to be around so many similar people sharing some of the same experiences. The turkey and sheep are hysterical.

Love Ya.

Mom