Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Día de la Paz (Parte Dos)

For the "Day of Peace" my first graders drew pictures and made a list of things they thought could help bring peace to Olancho.... 


I LOVE this picture! It's my favorite from both classes!


more people said "I love you"
for no more pushing

for beauty
for friendship 
for more love and that more people said "I love you"
Children always have the most beautiful things to say on topics like this. 

My students list included the things above and...

*God
*More churches
*No fighting
*No hitting
*No pushing
*No more violence

Seems simple...and the sad thing is it probably could be that simple. I don't think anyone would complain about hearing "I love you" a little more often, seeing more beauty in their lives,  or having more love surround them.

To end the day we held a prayer service in the gym next to the Cathedral. Here is an excerpt Padre wrote in his blog:

"Unfortunately there has been some increase in violence in Olancho as in many parts of the world. To end February, the month of friendship, the students from the Foundations four programs had a prayer service at which all pledged to work even harder to create an ambient of pèace in their homes and neighborhoods. I was so pleased that a local pastor accepted our invitation to assist as many students come from churches which are not catholic. This was something   monumental for Olancho as there are few – as in very few occasions -  that Roman Collars and ministers sit at the same table. Breaking religious prejudice, one prayer at a time."

I hope peace finds it's way to Juticalpa and the rest of the world soon!

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" -Jimi Hendrix

2 comments:

Brie said...

:) such sweet children!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like it was a wonderful day. These little kids are the future and hopefully they make these wishes a reality.

I love the little ones dancing....

Love ya

Mamasita