Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Día de la Paz

On February 28th we celebrated Día de la Paz (Day of Peace) in Juticalpa. During the day we had a special "acto civico" at Santa Clara. All of the students and teachers wore white shirts and gathered out in the concha at 10a.m. Sor Maglys got things rolling with her rockin' guitar playin' as Ella (Kinder teacher) jammed on her tambourine. I love all of the joy and energy that goes into singing songs here...


Sor sung a song about peace and had all of the staff and students flap their arms up and down like birds. It was really awesome to see everyone unified like that...


After a few songs to get everyone revved up, some of my little first graders performed an interpretive dance to a song about peace. To date it is one of the sweetest things I have ever seen! I was so emotional watching them because they took it so seriously and just looked adorable standing up there. As I looked over at Profe Yohely I saw that she had tears welled up in her eyes too! Here are some of the girls before their performance...
During the dance they did these adorable spins...

Here is a video clip of them....


I wish I had taken a video of the whole thing!

After my little girls performed their song, fourth grade performed a skit on tolerance, and then the sixth graders put on a play. 

Sergio was really excited for the play :)...


Some of my girls were trying really hard to block out the sun. Hondurans hate the sun and will do anything to avoid direct sunlight.

Here are the twin girls in my class, Kimberly and Briana. I couldn't pass up getting a picture of the two of them with their "Peace" shirts. How cute!!


When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others. - Peace Pilgrim

2 comments:

Brie said...

They're such good little dancers! I'm surprised they have the attention span to stick with a slower song like that. :)

Bridget said...

Oh yeah, they LOVE to dance! They could stay focused for hours dancing!