Sunday, March 20, 2011

Feliz Día del Padre-Juti Style

Friday we celebrated Father's Day in Honduras. All of the teachers pitched in to make decorations, build a stage, and prepare the food for the day. We had the dads come in two separate groups to make things more efficient. So at eight o'clock all of the dads from kinder-second grade came. Then at ten o'clock all the dads from third-sixth came.

Here are some of my favorite performances from the day...

Kinder B saying the prayer they say each morning with Miss Anne and Miss Claudia:



"Thank you for moms. Thank you for dads. Thank you for Jesus, who makes me glad. Thank you for rain and for sunshine above. But I thank you most for your wonderful love"

Kinder B singing "Sapo, Sapo, Sapo":




Kinder, Prepa, and Primero grados all sing this song. It's so cute!

Here are my little tots singing part of "The Butterfly Song":



I was so nervous for my kids to go up and perform the song. They didn't sing as loudly as I would have liked, but other than that they did a great job!

Here is the one and only Sor Maglys with my counterpart Rosita:




Sor Maglys is the best nun I've ever met. She has this inner joy that's contagious! She seriously reminds me so much of Fraulein Maria in "The Sound of Music". She's always walking down the dirt road to school with her guitar in hand so it couldn't be more perfect. I asked her on Friday if she'd ever seen the "Sound of Music" and she said she hadn't, so I have to find a Spanish copy for her ASAP!

Not only did Sor play the guitar and sing for all the dads, but she busted out her recorder later in the day and performed the Titanic theme song. The woman's a character!

This is a video of some of my first grade girls doing an interpretive dance to "Sólo Tú" by Jaci Velasquez. Solangel (red) in the front was so good. She's one of my scholarship students and she puts 110% into EVERYTHING she does! It brings tears to my eyes to watch her dance because you can see how much she means it:



I'm going to be a wreck in June! I'm already sad thinking about how much I'm going to miss these kids!

On a lighter note...here are some of my boys dancing to a reggaeton song. Little Guillermo (front left) rocked it:



I somehow don't think first grade boys dancing like this in the States would fly.

These third graders knocked their merengue song out of the park. Samantha (front) is a phenominal dancer:



All of the Honduran teachers had their students make Father's Day gifts out of recycled materials. Like this picture frame Kevin is holding up:


Kevin's dad lives in the states as do many of our other students parents. So it was bittersweet for a lot of them, but some of them brought grandfathers, uncles, or even cousins to share the day with them.

Here we all are in our Father's Day bests:


It was a wonderful day!

“Abundance is not something we acquire. It is something we tune into” –Wayne Dyer

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was great....but, there are 3 videos that are all black..it looks like they didn't download.

You are looking good babe!

Love Ya

mamasita

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love watching kids perform!

Love ya Bridgie!

Kare

P.S. I was able to see all the videos.

Anonymous said...

I can see them all now....Love the one with the nun and the little 3rd grader dancing...she's really good.

Love Ya,

Mamasita

Unknown said...

Bridget,

I thought your kids did great!! I could hear them perfectly! They were quite loud! And I loved you "directing" them. I loved all of the videos, but your kids were, by far, the best!!

I love reading your blog--so much fun. I'll have to show this to the boys later. Gunnar is taking a shower now. He has a chorus concert later tonight. Last week he had a band concert. He is in "Instrumental Chorus" which means he has band part of the week and chorus part of the week. One is three days and the other is two days. I can't remember which is which. Anyway, we have that to look forward to tonight.

Love, Aunt Mary (and the guys!)

Unknown said...

I have no idea why my name shows up as "The Chosen 2." It's not a name *I* picked, but I know who did. Hmm. Interesting.

-- Aunt Mary