Sunday, January 16, 2011

And then the tears came...

My students finally broke me. Don't worry, they didn't break me forever, but they did reduce me to tears this week! They are so incredibly loud, aggressive, and sometimes just down right mean to one another -- it all becomes too much! I have behavior problems, learning disabilities, kids who don't understand any English, kids who finish assignments in minutes and yell "Miss, I'm finished" until I address them, a students family being investigated for child abuse, another one who may be being sexually abused. I have criers, bullies, a child who throws temper tantrums, and the list goes on.

Sometimes during the day I just pause, close my eyes, and ask God to give me patience and help me make it to the end of the day.

It's been an incredibly hard week but the beautiful thing about my life is that God ALWAYS gives me what I need when I need it! I got a few e-mails from friends this week that really boosted my spirits, got to talk to my mom, and had a wonderful weekend! It was just what I needed :)

EVEN with all of the beahvior problems, the headaches, the tears, and the stress...everyday I still have laughter, beautiful smiles, kids READING, and it's just somehow all worth it. Some days I think I'm crazy for going into this profession and even crazier for coming to Honduras. Teaching is HARD but to hear a child read for the first time or solve an addition problem on their own and see their face LIGHT up is the most incredible gift! NOTHING compares to that feeling.

It WILL get better, and I know that. It's just finding the energy and patience within myself until that time comes.

Pray for me! Pray for my students. Pray for my students families. Pray for OAF. Pray for the schools of Honduras. Pray for PEACE in Honduras.

Tomorrow is a new day and how could you not love a face like this...



"The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it" ~Charles Swindoll

5 comments:

Auntie Kare said...

Long distance hug!!! Hang in there, Bridget and focus on those moments when you physically SEE learning happening. Success!

Love you!

Kare

Anonymous said...

Aww! Sorry that you're having a rough time - but you know you're making such a difference in young lives.

With this experience, you'll be able to handle any classroom. I'm thinking special ed., or one of the lowest income IPS schools - think what a blessing you'll be to kids who really need someone like you (wherever you go)!

Big hugs and lots of love to you!!

~YFA

Anonymous said...

Bridget, I can not imagine what you are experiencing. You are the strongest person I know and I am so very proud of you. Keep following your heart and you will always be OK.

Love Ya.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Bridget,
You are amazing. Seeing your posts and the impact your are making for these children is amazing. You give me strength to get through the days I think are terrible with my students. Your attitude coupled with an immense amount of strength are truly wonderful gifts. God would not give you anything you couldn't handle. I wish you all the best and will continue to hold you and your students in my prayers. A teacher wears many hats in even the best circumstances. I can not think of anyone better to be doing your good works in Honduras. Keep be amazing and never forget to smile and breathe.

Best Wishes,
RaeAnn

Bridget said...

RaeAnn...Thank you so much for the kind words and prayers. Your comment made my day! You're an incredible teacher and such a wonderful person. All of your students are so blessed to have you! I'm so happy things are going so well for you. Good things happen to good people :)! Have fun wedding planning. Can't wait to see you in July!!