Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Easter Celebrations in Juticalpa

When I got home from Costa Rica I came home to a house full of termites...

Half of the roof above our pila crumbled and we're scared the roof in the kitchen is next. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Sunday morning Maki, Jeff, Peggy, Carrie, and I went to mass at the Cathedral. We were running a little late and as Jeff and I were walking into the church at 10:45 to save seats for the 11 o'clock mass I thought it would be a wasted effort. There was no way there were going to be seats at 10:45 for an 11 o'clock mass. That's what all my years of getting to mass an hour early on Easter Sunday morning to save seats told me. So I was very surprised when we walked into the church and it was only 1/3 full...

I thought the church would be packed with people. I guess in Honduras it isn't as big of a deal as it is in the States. People here also travel during Semana Santa so it also could have been that a lot of people were out of town.

To celebrate the week of Semana Santa someone did these sand murals in the streets...




This is my favorite!

After mass I went to the Fruteria and bought some eggs...

So we could dye them for Easter :)...

Cooking
All set and ready to go...


Jeff's parents brought some Easter candy for him when they came to Costa Rica and he shared some of it with us on Easter.

Look how cute this little guy is...

I used food coloring to make the dye and it turned out pretty well. 


Here's Lace with the first completed egg...


Kandice was having a great time...


Coloring eggs makes me so happy!


Jeff definitely won the award for creativity. He wrapped a rubber band around one of his eggs.

Poured wax onto others...


And even burnt a few of them...


Even though they acted "so so" about coloring eggs in the beginning, they all got really into it. Just look at that smile...


That's the smile of someone having a great time!

I had a blast! So much so that I got dye all over my face, arms, and hands...


I used a new method of boiling the eggs and I got a perfect yolk! Thank you Our Best Bites :)...


I gave the above egg to this guy...

Very happy camper

Here are all of the finished eggs...


I'm amazed at how creative Kandice, Lacey, and Jeff got...


The funniest part of the day was this scene...


Jeff is terrified of dogs and when we went to show Maki and Peggy our finished eggs he wussed out. I had a tray and he had a tray but when I reached the gate I realized he wasn't behind me anymore. This is what I look back and saw. Lacey carrying them for him as he stands at his gate and watches. Haha!

The best part of my whole day was getting to talk with my family! I LOVE having such a big family and getting passed around on the phone to 15 different people :). It was hard not being home for Easter, but we had a good day celebrating in Juticalpa!


“The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself” –Mark Twain

2 comments:

YFA said...

Haha! That dog wanted some more of those Easter eggs!

Looks like you had lots of fun. I've enjoyed your Costa Rico posts all week - just finally take a moment to comment.

Loved talking to you on Easter too. Sorry that I didn't get to talk longer - it was almost time for me to head out the door before I got the phone!

I just love your blog. So nice to keep up on your life as you're experiencing all this neat (and not so neat) stuff!

Love you!!

Aunt Karen said...

Wow! Creative eggs! Termites?! Scary! Just imagine how much your house is going to seem like a luxurious castle when you return to the states! Toilets that work, no bugs or rodents, air conditioning, silence (or at least no sounds of gun shots)... Hahaha!

Glad you were able to get seats for Easter Mass!

Love ya Bridgie!

xoxo