Sunday, May 22, 2011

Heather's Visit (1 of 3)

I can't believe it's been over two weeks now since I've written a blog post! Life got really busy for awhile, but I'm back and ready to start bloggin' again!

On May 10th, a few Tuesday's back, Heather came to visit me in Juticalpa. I was so excited to have someone from home come and experience my life here for a little bit. Heather braved the trip alone, so I was really proud of her. Since I had to teach that day Lissy and a few other ladies went to meet her at the airport, and immediately took her to Pizza Hut :). Hondurans love to eat at Pizza Hut when they go to Tegus. 

After a three hour bus ride she arrived to la casa de Kandice y Bridget. After she got her stuff settled into her room we took her out for some tacos at "El Chalet" -- tasty!

The next morning it was time to experience the adventure that is Santa Clara. I told Heather on the bus ride to school that first day that stickers=love in my classroom. Here are her ratings after day one....

You can't see all of the stickers she received here, but let's just say she was loved a lot!
That night the first good rain in months happened. Heather left rainy Indiana so she wasn't overly excited, but we sure were...

Jeff, Andrew, Lacey, and Maki enjoying the rain

The next few days were filled with helping out in my classroom by day and trying local Honduran cuisine by night!

All of my students loved "Miss Heather"...

Heather, Valeria, and Leah
When I asked section A to get in a picture with Miss Heather this is what happened...

Smashed in a love mob of six year olds :)
While she was here she got to try baleadas, tacos, tajadas, and these enchiladas that Wendy (the cook at school) made...

Yum
She fell in love with Jose Alberto...

On one of the last days Heather spent in my classroom I let the kids write in shaving cream on their desks. They LOVED it:

They're still learning when to capitalize letters
Writing the word "plot"...


The always smiling Katherine...


This same day Heather brought all of the kids some chocolate that they went nuts over...


Alejandra showing off her covered hands...


We joined in on the fun...


When Friday came we were both excited for the weekend!

 So was Maria...


And Pablo drove us home...

Looks like the job's really wearing on him. This boy needs a vacation STAT!

"Treat a person as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat him as he could be, and he will become what he should be"
– Jimmy Johnson

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for FINALLY posting something about my visit, I was starting to think you just forgot about me, haha jk I know things have been crazy busy!! Hope you are all settled back in after your visit home...tell all the kids I say hi, seeing these pics makes me want to come back :(. Hope you have a good week, talk to ya soon!

~Heather