Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Final Volunteer Goodbye

I frequently ate grilled cheese sandwiches and drank a cold glass of coke while I was living with Kandice. She always made fun of me, so I took a picture of me and her with my last grilled cheese and coke before we left...
We had gone out for one last night of dancing the weekend before we went to the puente, but the teachers talked us into going out one more time before we all left...
We had a great time...
and for some reason loved showing our hands in a lot of the pictures. I think this was some sort of inside joke, but I can't remember now what it was about...
Jonesy got really into the Latin dance scene while visiting Honduras. When he told me he wanted to learn the bachata I knew just the woman for the job -- Karol...
She loves dancing more than anyone I've ever met!
It was definitely a fun time had by all...
The next day I met Yohely, Wendy, and her son Alejandro at El Rancho for lunch...
What a cute little guy :)
We all ending up wearing purple shirts...completely unplanned. It was hysterical!
Yohely handed me a gift before I left and guess what it was? A purple shirt, haha!

After lunch I went back home to change for the final volunteer dinner. But before Kandice, Carrie, and I could go to dinner we had to complete some last minute paperwork at Flavia's house.
Kandice, Me, Flavia, and Carrie
We had dinner at the same place we celebrated Maki's birthday back in December. We all had so much fun that night we wanted to do something similar for our final dinner. The foundation served us a traditional Honduran stew for our last meal together. After we ate, different members of the foundation gave each of us a speech and handed us a nice plaque with our name engraved on it. I'm sure you already guessed that I sobbed through the whole thing. I was actually already crying when I arrived to the dinner and more tears came as the night went on. 

After all of the speeches it was time to dance, dance, dance... 
This is Dan holding Andrew's shirt as he hopped around like a mad man.
Oscar and Me
 Jeff wanted to take happy/angry pictures.

First I was angry and he was happy...
Anger does not look good on me
then I was happy and he was angry...
Much better
Man house + Lacey ++ Bridget picture...

The OAF Team...
The lighting wasn't great so sorry for the poor quality on this one
Here are a few short videos of the hilarious Andrew busting some moves...




My life is forever changed by the people I volunteered with this year! I love every single one of them and I'm so grateful to have made such wonderful new friends. I wouldn't trade this past year for anything in the world!

“Enjoy every day, be yourself, pray, keep laughing and no matter how things turn out – you are always loved!” – My Beautiful Mom :)

3 comments:

Aunt Karen said...

Bridget, you are going to miss this life so much... I just know it! But all the new friends and all the wonderful memories... wow!

LOVED the quote from Mamasita! :)

Safe travels... see you VERY soon!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Bridget, not only will your life forever be changed, so will everyone elses that you have been in contact with. Not only in Honduras, but those of us in the United States also.

Love Ya!

Mamasita

P.S. My quote was pretty good. lol

YFA said...

Your momma is such a smart woman (and the cutest human 'bean')!