Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Hardest Goodbye...

Was by far saying goodbye to the kids at the orphanage!

Carrie and I went Sunday morning before we left for our trip to Guatemala. Jose Alberto and Maxi were in particularly great moods that day and it made me really happy to see them so happy.

I love this picture of the two of them...

Maria and Carrie
 After we played with all of them for a little bit I explained that it would be our last day at the orphanage. Jillybean did not like that and she started yelling "No" and shaking her little finger at me. At one point she was at the top of some stairs as Carrie and I were heading to other room to say goodbye to the other kids. She yelled "Miss King....nooooooo!" and then she flew down the stairs, ran to me, and wrapped her arms around me as hard as she could. I lost it and couldn't stop the tears from coming.
Jillybean and Me 
I said goodbye to Maxi and then looked for Alberto. I found him on the side of the house playing with some of the other boys and when I explained that I wouldn't be back again he acted like he didn't care, but when I turned around to walk away he ran to give me a hug. I told him how much I loved him, that I would miss him, and that I would definitely be back next year to visit him. I plan on writing him some letters from the States so he has a little bit of consistency in his life and knows how much I care.

As I walked away form saying goodbye to him, Julissa came up and tapped me. She motioned for me to lean down so I could hear her, and when I did she said "I love you!". She said it in English and so sincerely that it almost broke my heart.

Last but not least for goodbye's was Maria Jose. I love that little girl more than anything and when I scooped her up to hug her goodbye I never wanted to let her go. As I was telling her how much I would miss her she said "hold on" and ran back into the orphanage. She came back less than a minute later with a note in her hand that said "To the cutest teacher at Santa Clara, Miss King...I love you with all of my heart!" I can barely type that out now without crying!
The beautiful Maria Jose and Me
Carrie and I were both hysterical at that point and knew we needed to get out of there. We walked out as all of the kids followed behind us waving and saying goodbye. Then I cried the whole walk back home. It was so hard to walk away from all of them like that. I truly wish I could adopt every single one of them!

I hope and pray that each one of them is happy, healthy, and they always know they are loved!

“Tears are words the heart can’t express”

5 comments:

Aunt Karen said...

Oh Bridget, I can't even imagine how hard that must have been for you! I got all choked up just reading it!

Anonymous said...

I've been sitting here trying to respond to this blog and I just keep crying.

You have definitely touched the hearts of these little ones.

Love!

Mom

Anonymous said...

got me all teared up!

Brie said...

You've shown those kids so much love, and it's made an impact on their lives. They're going to be better people now from the time you and the other teachers have spent with them!

YFA said...

Aww, Bridget! I've got tears in my eyes just from reading this.

You're such a sweetheart!

Love you - and looking forward to seeing you.