Wednesday, June 8, 2011

So Long, Farewell

Maki and I are in a prank war against Jeff and Andrew. This war started a few months ago and small pranks have been received back and forth ever since! Maki and I got things rolling by saran wrapping a bunch of the boys things and by putting shampoo on their light switches and door handles. To get me back they stole one of my shower flip flops. I searched the house high and low wondering how I could have only lost one of my shoes -- but I finally figured out the boys had taken it. So in retaliation I stole one set of shoes from each of them. Since they eventually needed to wear those shoes they had to trade me for the flip. I called it a two for one deal :). Since then nothing's really happened with the war. We've all been busy and kind of forgot about it, until last weekend.

Jeff and Andrew needed to go grab a pan from my house to make some cookies. I gave them my house key and sent them on their way thinking nothing of it. When they took forever to come back to their house though Kandice said "I really hope they didn't do something to our house". They said it took a long time because they couldn't get the ket into the door and that has been a problem for us as well so I believed it. 

When I walked into my house this is what I found...

All my bedroom furniture moved into my dinning room just as it looks in my bedroom. It stunk that I had to put my room back together at 10 o'clock at night, but I had to laugh. It's a great prank! Now I just have to figure out what my next retaliation will be...

Before our time in Honduras came to an end Jeff, Andrew, and I wanted to take our Spanish teachers (Carlos and Lydia), and their kids, out to dinner. So last Wednesday night we went to La Fonda. It's one of my favorite restaurants in Honduras but it's a little on the pricey side. They have amazing carne and great cheeseburgers. They also have anafre, which I have grown to love...

Anafre - red beans with mantequilla, and sometimes chorizo and cheese

During dinner everyone took turns telling different stories or talking about how poor most Honduran's diets are -- we laughed a lot! It was so nice to be with a family and especially this family I have come to know so well. Carlos and Lydia are still madly in love with each other and they are wonderful parents to their three children! It's been an absolute joy to work with them this year...

Jeff, Pablo, Andrew, Carlos, Me, Lydia, Lacey, and Charley
The next day was our last "real" day of school. Here's Kandice getting on our bus...


When we arrived that morning Maho (a fourth grader) was waiting at the gate to show me a baby turtle he had found...
Teeny Tiny
Since Friday was going to be a crazy day we celebrated our last school mass on Thursday.

I love little Jeffrey...

It couldn't have been a more beautiful day! It wasn't as hot as it had been and there was a slight breeze. The mountains were in perfect view and in the field to the side of the cancha wild horses were running, and big white birds were swooping around. I felt so grateful in that moment for the past tenth months I've spent in Honduras, for how beautiful nature is, and for how much love I felt under that tin roof! 


Then the last dreaded day of school came. The kids were of coarse pumped to be finished but I was dreading it because I knew how sad I would be to have to say goodbye!

This is the bus stop Kandice and I wait as every morning... (the blue truck is the one that has the creepy doll head attached to the back)

On the last day we had food (that the kids brought in), games (that the teachers created), and a marimba band. Kandice, Jackie, and I did colored macaroni necklaces. Kandice and I dyed the macaroni the night before with food coloring and rubbing alcohol and they turned out pretty well...

We had a packed station...


I finally got a picture with Sor Maglys, my favorite nun ever! I just can't believe how much taller I am than her, but I do tower most Hondurans...

My sweet little Lydia...


Milsa ALWAYS wants to take a picture with me. Any time we have a special event she always says "Miss, a foto?" Since it was the last day of school a foto was definitely in order...

Before the first grade students left for the last time Rosita had each of us give a speech. Yohely went first and started crying about 2 minutes in which instantly made me cry, then Rosita went and also started crying, next was my turn and I couldn't say more than a few words because I was crying too hard. When all of the students left I hugged each of them as I sobbed and said my last goodbyes. I knew it was going to be difficult to say goodbye but I had no idea it would be that hard! 

To celebrate ending the school year some of us went to Tegus for a night to pick up Jeff's friend Mike, eat at T.G.I Friday's, and stay in a hostel with cable T.V.. I had boneless buffalo wings for dinner and I was in heaven!

“If you wouldn’t write it and sign it, don’t say it” –Earl Wilson

3 comments:

Aunt Karen said...

I got all choked up reading that last part. It's a feeling I know all too well....every year! I also laughed out loud at the "bedroom in the dining room" photo! Clever that they set it up the exact same way!

Enjoy your travels, Bridgie! I can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

Love you!
Kare

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine all of the emotions you are going through.

I love the picture of you and the nun....she's so cute.

Be careful and have tons of fun!

Love Ya!
Mamasita

Brie said...

*sad face*!