Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween in Honduras

Since coming to Honduras in August I have been talking about hosting a Halloween party. I was so excited for everyone to dress up and for the Hondurans to experience an American holiday. Everyone at school seemed really excited about coming and some people even said they would dress up, so I was stocked! Here is the invite I sent out:

Follow the witch this Halloween, for the ghost and wraith may not be seen.
To a party at a house on a dark lonely street, good food you will have, good friends you will meet. In costume you'll come, do not be late, we commence at the witching hour of eight.
Until this dark and fateful night, be ready to make haste when witches take flight.

Eight o'clock rolled around on Saturday evening and the party began. At nine o'clock no Hondurans had shown up yet. Since Hondurans are typically late to everything we thought we would give them another hour or so. Once ten o'clock hit I knew no one was going to show. I was a little bummed at first that none of the Hondurans came, but we had an absolute blast without them...

Figuring out where the balloons should go















Awesome decorations

Treat bags

The taquitos Peggy made...yum!

Medusa cake that Andrew made, complete with spider cupcake made by Carrie. We have some crafty people living down here!

Since we didn't have pumpkins to carve we carved watermelons instead. This one was carved by Andrew.

Dancing

Having a great time :)
I was originally going to be a gypsy for Halloween, but all of the shops in town wanted $15 for a dress. So, I decided last minute that I wanted to be a sunflower. Andrew and Lacey helped make that happen. Lacey let me borrow her belt to wear with my green sheet and Andrew made me this awesome sunflower necklace. I was so excited...
Lacey (80's aerobics instructor) and Me (sunflower)
I guess I really know how to accessorize a sheet because one of the volunteers thought I was wearing a dress I had bought in town!
Roommates (Andrew, Lacey, and Jeff)

I had to get in on Andrew's cool costume

All of us (from left to right: Dan, Andrew, Anne, Lacey, Angela, Peggy, Maki, Me, Carrie, and Jeff). Amazing group of people!
I gave out prizes at the end of the night for best costumes. Third place won a pair of halloween socks, Second place also won a pair of socks as well, and then First place won a halloween bandana, movie, and bag of dark chocolate! Without further ado, here are the prize winners of the evening...
Third place goes to Carrie! She was Glenda the good witch from the "Wizard of Oz". The costume she has on was one she wore for a dance recital when she was thirteen years old. Pretty impressive!

Second place goes to Chuck Noland..err, I mean Jeff! He was Tom Hanks in "Castaway" complete with Wilson. He kept his costume a secret from me, so I was cracking up when I saw him!
Drum roll............
First place goes to Andrew for this incredible Chupacabra costume. He made that mask out of paper mache, paint, plastic sprite bottles, and paper. He made the goat himself as well. Very creative and well done!

Photo with Jeff and Wilson

Lacey, Maki, and Me in the doorway

Our only guests for the night were Eyal and Heather. They are both working for the Peace Corps down here. Eyal is eight months in I believe and Heather just arrived four weeks ago.

Jeff loved to take random pictures of us

This is my favorite one of the night. We were all cracking up! Fun times!!

Jumping pictures...

Awesome party with great friends!
I loved my Halloween in Honduras :)


"Life is made up of years that mean nothing and moments that mean it all"

2 comments:

Brie said...

I TOTALLY thought that was a dress! You should get one made in that color, as it looks fabulous on you. :o)

Aunt Karen said...

Just looked at your awesome photos. Mrs. McKee (teacher from All Saints) got to enjoy them, too! :)

Glad you ended up with a GREAT costume!

Love,

Auntie Kare