Thursday, November 11, 2010

It's Official...

I'm getting married :)!

Ha, no -- just kidding...

Today I have officially been in Honduras for twelve weeks -- which means I have now surpassed the nine week stent I spent in Kenya -- making this the longest time I have been away from home.

Three or four years ago if someone would have asked me to spend a year of my life in a third world country I would have told them they were crazy! I would have loved the IDEA of doing something like that but I would have never had the courage to pick up and go.

After getting home from Kenya I felt really called to go abroad for a longer period of time. I had planned on coming to Honduras for four months, but when I found out there were no short term volunteer slots open I took that as my push to commit to a full year. I wasn't sure about that choice when I first arrived here twelve weeks ago, but now I can't imagine myself anywhere else!

And a major plus is...Estoy aprendiendo mucho español (I am learning a lot of Spanish)

Most days I am filled with so much joy I feel like I can't contain it. I am insanely happy and it's a great feeling :)!

I know that joy is without a doubt the result of being exactly where God wants me!


"God speaks to us through many ways. We have His word in the scriptures. While it is certainly not always possible to find a corresponding directive in scripture when we need to make a decision, the Bible does provide a blueprint for how to live. Decisions made that are in keeping with the message of scripture will be on solid footing.
 

God can also use the voices of others in our lives to guide our path. Family, friends, and even strangers can sometimes provide an insight into our soul that we might not have otherwise obtained. For example, someone might acknowledge or praise us for a talent that we had never given much thought to. Such a talent might become the basis for a new career path. God may also use circumstances to help shape our lives. Whether we get married or not often depends on whether the right man crosses our path. The birth of a child or an unexpected layoff may force us to reassess our career goals. Opportunity may knock and invite us to move to a new location. A serious illness or the death of a loved one may cause us to reevaluate our priorities in life. 

God also speaks to us within our own hearts. As we align ourselves into living our lives for God, the will of God for our lives becomes clearer. The voice of God speaking in our souls also hears in it a characteristic spirit. It is a spirit of exalted peacefulness and confidence, or joy, of sweet reasonableness, and of will for the good. However, any voice which promises total exemption from suffering and failure is most certainly not God's word. God does not guarantee us a trouble-free existence. Listening for God's call is a task that requires courage. To be willing to ask for and receive the gift of new sight and new ways of hearing requires courage to change and to trust in finding one's own way on a new path. We like to be in control of our lives. While God does not ask us to give up our free will, He may ask us to surrender our will to His. Such a surrender can indeed be frightening. There may also be impediments to following God's call and a difficult path ahead. However, The results of following God's desires in the long run, should be those listed in Galatians: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Those are qualities well worth hoping for."


I pray that I always have the wisdom and the courage to go where God leads me!

I will be forever grateful for the things and people in my life that have led me to this place...


"Sometimes change can be so constant you don't even feel a difference until there is one. It can be so slow that you don't even know that your life is better or worse until it is. Or it can just blow you away and make you something different in an instant." ~Life as a House.

No comments: