Friday, November 12, 2010

Maestro del Mes

This past Monday after school I went over to my little guy Anyelo's house because his whole family got a bad case of the chicken pox and he's missed almost two weeks of school now. The first parcial ended last Friday so I wanted to make sure he was all caught up before I had to submit grades.

His mom wanted to make me dinner for taking the time to come over and help him. Before she had me sit down to eat she asked Anyelo to go and show me something. So I turn around and see two full sized and one baby deer. They weren't as big as the deer in Indiana are, but they were definitely deer. They looked like this...


truei – Central American white-tailed deer (Costa RicaNicaragua and adjacent states)

They were in this pin inside the house, but a part of the house that was open to the outside. There was a little mat in the corner of their cage and I saw two of the deer walk over to it, squat, and do their business. They're potty trained, hahaha! I couldn't believe it! Anyelo was just petting them and laughing as they were licking his hands. So I had to pet them myself -- it was so weird to pet a deer. They were pretty cute and mild tempered though. They loved to lick my skin...I'm sure it has something to do with the salt taste. 

After I washed my hands I sat down to a wonderful meal of rice, chicken, and homemade corn tortillas...with a glass of ice cold pepsi to wash it all down. I walked home with a belly full of food and a smile on my face :).

The first parcial ended last Friday!

I made a lot of mistakes during the first parcial so I'm very excited for the second one to start so I can make improvements in my classroom and fix the things that aren't working.

I did get some exciting news yesterday though...

Peggy has been asking Wendy and I if she could take our picture for a few days now but neither of us were sure why she needed one. After she took our picture yesterday she told us that we are the teachers of the month! A monthly newsletter goes home to parents and we were spotlighted in this months issue. This is the first month anyone has been chosen so I feel very honored!

Jeff's dad left yesterday morning. It was so great t have him here. It makes me happy to see the volunteers get to spend time with their parents and for the parents to see what their kids have been doing for the past three months. So I of course started thinking about my mom and Robbie coming to visit. It's definitely a culture shock down here but I think they would both really enjoy it and I would love for them to see my little guys. I'm already thinking about all of the hands-on activities I could do with two extra sets of hands in my classroom. Maybe I'll get my wish next spring ;)...

Oh, and Kare I'm still hoping you come over your Spring Break! You would LOVE LOVE LOVE coming to school with me. Think about, pray about it, and then e-mail me to say YES :)!

los amo a todos (love you all)


"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are"
- Marianne Williamson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on Teacher of the Month! I know you deserve it!

-Theresa